It's Resolution Time! 2k8 Wrap Up
Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year everyone!
So time for my annual resolution wrap up. I had intended this to be a multi-part post, but seeing how I'm having trouble even getting one post out, here it is in one mega-post.
This year's grading system has three possible results: Pass, Fail, or Pending/incomplete.
First up, the resolutions/goals I set at the beginning of the year:
Be clean, all the time
So my goal was to keep my place clean, and I have to say this goal was a resounding success. Back in May, I instituted a clean 15 minutes every day system which has worked out way better than I ever imagined. According to my spreadsheet, since May I've had 77 cleaning week days (I don't track weekends in my spreadsheet) I think the year before I'd be lucky to have 20 all year. I'm not saying my place is always completely spotless, but I can say that my place is very rarely a disaster, which is a huge improvement over last year.
Verdict:

Blog more
For this, my goal was to blog once per week. I started off pretty well, blogging weekly for the first 5 months. But after that, things took a nose dive and never recovered. In that time period, I made a total 8 posts. Terrible! For the year, I made a total of 26 posts, half of the required 52 posts I should have made. Not good enough.
Verdict:

Lower debt
I aimed to lower my debt this year, and while there was a period were things weren't looking too well, I've lowered my debt by almost 40% (could have been lower if I didn't go to Vegas, but hey you only live once!)

Verdict:

Learn to play the guitar
This one requires a post of its down, too many details to go into here.
Verdict: Incomplete
Help the world
So my aim was to contribute time and effort to charitable organizations, but all I have to show for myself at the end of the year is one day for habitat for humanity. This is not just a fail, but an...
Verdict:

Finish Rockband on drums on Expert
Never got around to this, but I did finish guitar on Expert
Verdict: Pending
And now some unofficial/late resolutions:
Read more
This was a late resolution to read more. How did I fare?
Books read to completion:
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book
Practices of an Agile Developer
Personal Finance For Canadians for Dummies (just finished this one, only took me 9 months, laugh!)
Books at least 75% read through:
Professional XNA Game Programming
Tax Tips for Canadians for Dummies
DJing for Dummies
Plus a bunch of other books I've read good portions of.
According to my goal's spread sheet, I did 148 reading days. Sounds like reading more to me, no?
Verdict:

And finally on to my secret goal for the year:
Learn to DJ!
You may have caught DJing for dummies in the list of books above. Well back in May, I decided to pursue a long time dream of mine to become a DJ, so I bought myself a mixer and haven't looked back since. I've envisioned my path to becoming a DJ as a multi-stage process, with the goal for this year being gaining mixing skills. So I've been practicing for the last 6 months (73 practice days) and while the initial goings were pretty tough and frustrating, my skills have progressed far enough and last week I completed my first official mix. I'm still working on a website, but when its done I'll let you know.
Verdict:

Next post: Resolutions/goals for 2009
So time for my annual resolution wrap up. I had intended this to be a multi-part post, but seeing how I'm having trouble even getting one post out, here it is in one mega-post.
This year's grading system has three possible results: Pass, Fail, or Pending/incomplete.
First up, the resolutions/goals I set at the beginning of the year:
Be clean, all the time
So my goal was to keep my place clean, and I have to say this goal was a resounding success. Back in May, I instituted a clean 15 minutes every day system which has worked out way better than I ever imagined. According to my spreadsheet, since May I've had 77 cleaning week days (I don't track weekends in my spreadsheet) I think the year before I'd be lucky to have 20 all year. I'm not saying my place is always completely spotless, but I can say that my place is very rarely a disaster, which is a huge improvement over last year.
Verdict:

Blog more
For this, my goal was to blog once per week. I started off pretty well, blogging weekly for the first 5 months. But after that, things took a nose dive and never recovered. In that time period, I made a total 8 posts. Terrible! For the year, I made a total of 26 posts, half of the required 52 posts I should have made. Not good enough.
Verdict:

Lower debt
I aimed to lower my debt this year, and while there was a period were things weren't looking too well, I've lowered my debt by almost 40% (could have been lower if I didn't go to Vegas, but hey you only live once!)
Verdict:

Learn to play the guitar
This one requires a post of its down, too many details to go into here.
Verdict: Incomplete
Help the world
So my aim was to contribute time and effort to charitable organizations, but all I have to show for myself at the end of the year is one day for habitat for humanity. This is not just a fail, but an...
Verdict:

Finish Rockband on drums on Expert
Never got around to this, but I did finish guitar on Expert
Verdict: Pending
And now some unofficial/late resolutions:
Read more
This was a late resolution to read more. How did I fare?
Books read to completion:
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book
Practices of an Agile Developer
Personal Finance For Canadians for Dummies (just finished this one, only took me 9 months, laugh!)
Books at least 75% read through:
Professional XNA Game Programming
Tax Tips for Canadians for Dummies
DJing for Dummies
Plus a bunch of other books I've read good portions of.
According to my goal's spread sheet, I did 148 reading days. Sounds like reading more to me, no?
Verdict:

And finally on to my secret goal for the year:
Learn to DJ!
You may have caught DJing for dummies in the list of books above. Well back in May, I decided to pursue a long time dream of mine to become a DJ, so I bought myself a mixer and haven't looked back since. I've envisioned my path to becoming a DJ as a multi-stage process, with the goal for this year being gaining mixing skills. So I've been practicing for the last 6 months (73 practice days) and while the initial goings were pretty tough and frustrating, my skills have progressed far enough and last week I completed my first official mix. I'm still working on a website, but when its done I'll let you know.
Verdict:

Next post: Resolutions/goals for 2009

1 Comments:
Congratulations! I'm also hoping to finish Rock Band 2 on drums on expert, I have a feeling it's going to take me a very long time.
By
Lil Lex, at 6:25 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home