Chris the Perpetual Student

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2007 Year in Review part 1

Happy Belated Holidays everyone!

It's time once again for my annual look back at the year that passed, starting with my 2007 New Year's resolution results:

No more sleeping in.
Ha! This was a complete and utter failure! In fact, I think my average wake up time is at an all time high. At one point I did manage to string a few days of getting up early but that was as good as it got. I have to give myself negative points for this.
-999999 points

Get back into shape and stay that way.
Success! This was probably the only resolution I kept myself conscious of all year and it paid off. I started off the year in the absolute worst shape in my life, but I can now say I'm probably in the best shape I've been in a long time, possibly ever. I mentioned a few months ago that I had reached my target fitness goal, but in order to be a complete success I had to maintain that by the end of the year, and considering how much I've been eating over the holidays, I was pretty sure that was in jeopardy. But lo and behold, I made it. Here is the progress I made over the year (notice the large spike after Vancouver and the large drop after I kicked up my training up a notch)


+999999 points

Don't procrastinate.
Can't really say I did a good or bad job with this, so no points for me.
+0 points

Be aggressive
Not sure exactly what I meant to accomplish with this or what the measure of success was going to be, but looking back at 2007 can I say I was more aggressive? For the most part I can say, yes. I was far more outgoing that I have ever been, I did many things I never thought I'd have the guts to do, and I gained the courage to be true to how I felt. Still there were things I continue to chicken out on. Slight edge to me, so I'll take the point.
+1 point

The bonus points:
-write a game
Didn't happen, although I came up with a design for one, so prospects look much better for 2008. No points for trying though.
+0 points

-finish a game in my long list of games to finish.
It almost happened. I lent away my Xbox so I was left with my ps1 to play over Christmas holidays, so I started playing Vagrant Story aiming to finish it before New Years. But then I got Rockband earlier than I expected and so I took my box Xbox back and the rest was history. But progress was made, so a 2008 completion doesn't seem so unlikely. No points for progress either.
+0 points

So the final tally, once again a very unimpressive 1. Crap!


So, what I can aim for this year?

Be clean, all the time
Even though I didn't win the Talib Kweli home cleaning award from my friends, I was rather disappointed in myself that I was not vigilant enough to avoid a not so flattering surprise inspection. This year I'll be ready!

Blog more
Seeing what a crappy job I did this year blogging and seeing how my friend Duane successfully made his resolution to blog once a week, I'm going to take a page out of his book and borrow his resolution for this year.

Lower debt
I managed to rack up quite the bill through moving out and going on two big vacations in one year, so I'm aiming to get rid of that asap.

Learn to play the guitar
This falls under the "do at least one failed resolution from past years" category, this one from 2005. I have a music school right behind my place, so no excuse this time!

Help the world
I need at least one self improvement resolution and I've never felt I've contributed enough in donating time/money/effort to charity so I'm aiming on improving that.

Finish Rockband on drums on Expert
Impossible? Most likely. But I'm damn going to try!

2 Comments:

  • Good job on the weight tracking / staying in shape. I've got a google spreadsheet on weight..

    Bad job on the blog updates. You need to pick that up - even Chin is blogging more than you lately (ChIN!!!)

    By Blogger OhPunk!, at 3:35 p.m.  

  • to beat rock band on drums on expert, you just need to play real drums for 10 years, like the guy on the video!

    By Blogger Lil Lex, at 7:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home