Chris the Perpetual Student

Monday, August 18, 2008

Help the World, Step One

So at the beginning of the year one of my new year's resolution was to help the world and I'm glad to say that I've got my first effort under my belt (sure the year is 2/3 done already but better late than never) by volunteering for Habitat for Humanity last last weekend with my friend Lisa. I've never done any construction work of any kind so it was a great learning experience as well. We were tasked with building the floor joist and my contribution was sawing stuff and screwing in the supporting beam. It's a little daunting using power tools with no experience especially things that can chop off limbs but now I know and knowing is half the battle (my favourite was using the cleverly named sawzall, cause, get it, it saws all!) What really made the day special though was when the future home owners came and site and how generally grateful they were for the work we were doing. It didn't hit me until then the actual impact of what I was doing and it was a very rewarding feeling. I'm definitely looking forward to my next build date.

Here's a little video of the house we were working on:

2 Comments:

  • Awesome Chris that is a great accomplishment! Please let me know when you go out next...I'd love to join!

    Cheers

    By Blogger Rubex Cube, at 11:21 a.m.  

  • hey, you're not in the video? What a rip-off! Good thing I didn't watch all 7 minutes.

    By Blogger Lil Lex, at 8:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home