Chris the Perpetual Student

Saturday, June 02, 2007

EuroTrip the finale

Hey!
 
I don't know what kind of prayers you guys used but since the last time I wrote the weather has been awesome!  Too bad that anticipating bad weather I planned out indoor activities.  So Wednesday I went to the National Gallery which houses Van Gogh's Sunflowers (which I didn't get to see) among many other famous paintings.  Since we were meeting up later that night to go out for dinner, I decided to kill some time by watching a movie, so I went to see 28 Weeks Later.  Not only was it one of the best movies I have seen this year, but almost the entire movie takes place in the area where I'm staying, Canary Wharf.  So you get to see shots of the tube station I take everyday, the bus stop where I catch my bus, the surrounding buildings, even the footbridge | used to cross into Greenwich.  Anyways I thought it was a cool coincidence and cool that | could recognize all the places in the movie.  Oh its an awesome movie too so you should watch it.  Ok Thursday, more good weather, but I spent the afternoon in the British Museum which has the Rosetta stone and Elgin's Marbles (statues from the Parthenon the Greeks apparently want back but the British won't give it to them)  After that I went to the Tate Modern, staring at paintings I had no idea what they meant or represented.  |t was all very weird.  Then I went to go to what I thought was city hall, which is an egg-shaped building, so I went to the only egg shaped building I knew.  When I got there though I couldn't get in, until I figured out that it wasn't city hall.  Ok Friday I decided to go check out Harrod's which is where my friend Nichole is working.  I had left her a note that I was going to come visit, but she didn't get it, so I decided to see if I could find her.  I didn't realize though that Harrod's is 5 stories of a shopping maze.  I spent over an hour just skimming over the 5 floors (it really is enormous) and realizing I was searching for a needle in a hay stack I gave up.  On my way out, I decided to stop at the second floor just out of pure randomness, and lo and behold I found her.  What are the odds of that?  Anyways we ate a pizza at the food hall (it really was good, thanks Tony!)  After that, I decided to take a ride on the London Eye.  Now I had checked the weather all week to find a day when it would be sunny, and even though the weather said it was going to be overcast, up until that point it was sunny all day.  But just my luck, as soon as I got my ticket, a huge cloud came over the area which conveniently lasted for only the duration of my ride.  Anyways, the ride lasts half an hour, but its a really fast half hour.  After that, I tried my luck again to get to City Hall, and when I finally found it, i took the elevator to the top floor, only to have some security lady kick me out.  Well today's my last day here.  The weather has been the best its been my entire trip here so far, 23 and sunny.  I'm checking out Oxford St and the other shopping areas and just finishing up my lunch.  Tomorrow I fly out to go back home :(  Well hoped you enjoyed my updates.  Till the next trip :)
 
Chris
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home