Love and Basketball
Well if there's one good thing about fall/winter, it's that video game playing and computer usage goes up, and as computer usage goes up, so do blog entries, so I'm going to try and clear up some stuff from the back burner this week.
So two weeks ago my friends Chin, Shaun, and I tried out speed dating for a second time (we tried it out once last year). I tried it again more for enjoyment purposes more than anything else, since I had a fun time the first time I did it, so I went in with no real expectations other than to have a good time. I have to say I think my conversation skills are better than I give myself credit for, I think I can be rather entertaining and apparently some of the girls I talked to agree since I got a lot more matches this time around (although I did check yes for everyone, haha) I like to liken my conversation skills to basketball. If conversation was like the game of basketball, then my game would be like Dell Curry. On his own, he can't create his own shot, but with a point guard to run the offense, he can hit all the open jumpers.

On my own, I'm not good carrying a conversation but when I'm with someone who can drive a conversation, I'm a pretty good conversation partner. And for some reason I have an easy time talking to strangers or people I hardly know. Maybe because the conversation is new to me. Or maybe I've run out of things to say to the people I know!
And something interesting that I learned from speed dating. I've always complained how being in the computer industry is the worst for meeting girls since 99% of the people you work with are guys, but I never gave it a thought that there was a profession where girls could be in a similar situation, but more than three quarters of the girls I met there were teachers and they all complained about the same thing, that 99% of the the people they work with are girls. One of them told me girls would be all over me if I was a teacher. Damnit, I should have become a teacher!
So two weeks ago my friends Chin, Shaun, and I tried out speed dating for a second time (we tried it out once last year). I tried it again more for enjoyment purposes more than anything else, since I had a fun time the first time I did it, so I went in with no real expectations other than to have a good time. I have to say I think my conversation skills are better than I give myself credit for, I think I can be rather entertaining and apparently some of the girls I talked to agree since I got a lot more matches this time around (although I did check yes for everyone, haha) I like to liken my conversation skills to basketball. If conversation was like the game of basketball, then my game would be like Dell Curry. On his own, he can't create his own shot, but with a point guard to run the offense, he can hit all the open jumpers.

On my own, I'm not good carrying a conversation but when I'm with someone who can drive a conversation, I'm a pretty good conversation partner. And for some reason I have an easy time talking to strangers or people I hardly know. Maybe because the conversation is new to me. Or maybe I've run out of things to say to the people I know!
And something interesting that I learned from speed dating. I've always complained how being in the computer industry is the worst for meeting girls since 99% of the people you work with are guys, but I never gave it a thought that there was a profession where girls could be in a similar situation, but more than three quarters of the girls I met there were teachers and they all complained about the same thing, that 99% of the the people they work with are girls. One of them told me girls would be all over me if I was a teacher. Damnit, I should have become a teacher!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home