Chris the Perpetual Student

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Down, But Not Out


Long story short, on November 4th, 2009, I broke my ankle playing soccer. I'll spare you the gruesome details, but it was bad, like Moises Alou/Jorge Garbajosa bad. I've been on the mend since, on crutches, in a cast and will be so for a while.

But that's not the reason for me jumping back online and blogging again (although it is part of the reason) . With less than two weeks to go in the year, I am not going to accomplish any of the achievements I set out to do at the beginning of the year, and that is a very disappointing thing for me. While I look back, I did put a significant amount of effort for each in the early part of the year, but for whatever reason I could not sustain that effort and I have fallen severely short of my goals. Perhaps I set the bar too high. Or perhaps I set about the whole thing wrong. While the year may seem like a failure, I achieved quite a number of things that were not on the list, like learning to bake or learning to play golf. So perhaps the best way to set goals is to not set them at all.

Regardless, the fact is that I set to accomplish things and I did not get them done. But I have decided to not concede defeat. Instead, I've come to the decision to finish the year the way I started it, strong and with determination Sure its for a losing cause, but right now the effort is more important to me than the result. I've always thought my lack of time was keeping me from doing the things that I wanted to get done. Now that time is something I have a lot of, I have no excuse. And I've come to think that the injury is a blessing in disguise.

I may be down, but I'm not out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home