Chris the Perpetual Student

Monday, July 06, 2009

Adventures in Baking

Well so much for my golf swing. Since that awesome day last Tuesday, I haven't been able to hit a single ball well, I totally lost the golfing mojo that I had that day. I am hoping that revelation #4 comes to me soon to put me back on track.

In addition to my new golf hobby, I've also become hooked on baking. I guess it all started at the picnic for my basketball team, I decided to bake cup cakes which all disappeared by the end of the day. It was a very gratifying feeling and thought to myself maybe there is something to this baking thing. So I resolved to bake one new recipe per week (which should help out my resolution to try a new recipe per week, which wasn't doing too well) and so far I've gone four weeks in a row and am enjoying it more and more. I bring whatever I bake to work the next day (so I don't end up eating everything by myself) and they never fail to disappear.

So the story of my first baking attempt is pretty funny. I was trying to bake shortbread cookies but I realized I was out of butter, but it was 10pm at night and the local grocery store was closed and I didn't feel like driving far to go to a 24 hour one, so I went to the local convenience store. They had butter, but the only butter they had was salted butter, and the recipe called for unsalted butter, but I figured how much of a difference could it make? So I used the salted butter, and when I tried my first cookie, it was the saltiest cookie on the face of earth! It was like someone dumped a whole shaker full of salt on my cookie. Blech! I tried to finish it but I couldn't, so I dumped the whole batch. Baking lesson #1: never use salted butter!


The good batch


Tangerine cupcakes, my favourite recipe so far

3 Comments:

  • that salted butter rule goes for ALL cooking. doesnt matter what you're making, but *always* use unsalted butter even if the recipe should call for salted butter. you always want to be able to control the seasoning

    you can always add, but never take away

    By Blogger chinwhat, at 8:02 a.m.  

  • I tried one of these cupcakes, and it was good! My favourite baking ingredients are blueberries and chocolate (but not together :S).

    Let's have an Iron Chef:TeamID bake-off!

    By Blogger Lil Lex, at 6:18 a.m.  

  • Yummy!

    Can you bake a batch for Kelso?

    By Blogger Rubex Cube, at 4:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home