Chris the Perpetual Student

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Foosball Jedi

Ok its 20 minutes until my Russian tea cakes are done.

So last I left off, I was still fighting my way up from the bottom of my work's foosball ladder, still training to get better. A month later, the ladder now stands something like this:



Aw yeah, #1 baby! It was a long three month journey to the top, but I worked my way up the ranks. Its the foosball equivalent of finishing Punch Out



Now I'm not one to usually brag, but I have to say, I'm pretty damn good at this now. I can smoke almost everyone below me now, including guys who used to destroy me. My formula for success is not rocket science, but its something that I've got down pretty well from my experiences of teaching myself various things. I approach everything I learn the same way: study the fundamentals (aka read), then practice, practice, practice. A lot of practice. There's a study I like to bring up whenever I have new co-ops which I got from this post. Basically, a pottery class was split into two, with one group told to focus on quality and the other focus on quantity. At the end of the study, the group that focused on quantity produced the best pottery. Why? Because since they made so much stuff, they learned from their mistakes and corrected them. And that to me is the key to success.

Ok so there I was after work, playing one of the new co-ops whos been at my work for about 2 or 3 weeks now, a total rookie at foosball. I've smoked him every time I've played him, but every time I see small improvements in his game, and today he beat me for the first time (I was playing kinda half assed but still, it was a well deserved win) So then I start teaching him stuff, and as I watch him diligently practice all the moves, I get major deja vu. He was me two months ago. Could it be that the pupil who has become master will watch as his pupil becomes master? Am I the Obi Wan of foosball?

2 Comments:

  • "Now I'm not one to usually brag, but"

    that made me laugh

    By Blogger chinwhat, at 10:13 a.m.  

  • Could you actually beat Tyson in Punch out? If so i have gained a new level of respect for you. He was impossible. Once punch and you were done.

    By Blogger Green Lantern, at 9:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home