Chris the Perpetual Student

Monday, February 26, 2007

Post Oscars Thoughts

I meant to write this before the Oscars but oh well. Here are my thoughts on Oscar nominated movies:

Babel
Saw this a few weeks ago. A good movie, a little too artsy for my taste and perhaps a little too deep for brain to comprehend the themes involved, nonetheless I can appreciate it as a well told story.

Letters from Iwo Jima
Saw this last week, I really like this movie a lot, perhaps I'm a little biased since it deals with Japanese stuff, but it really is a good movie as you feel a connection with the characters are really become sympathetic with their plight. Not as high up there on my list as some of Eastwood's other movies (Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River) but still a great movie.

The Departed
Saw this one last year. Also a really well done movie, the acting was all top-notch particularly Mark Wahlberg's character which I thought was so awesome and the story was well written and executed. I didn't have a head and shoulders above the rest best movie pick this year, but among the nominees, Letters and The Departed were my favourite so I accept The Departed's win for best picture.

The Last King of Scotland
Saw this one a few weeks ago, I never even had heard of this one and the only reason I saw it was because I wanted to watch Babel but it wasn't playing and the girl I was with saw it on Oprah and said it was good. Anyways I'm glad I saw it, it was a really good movie, a lot of tense moments throughout the movie and Forest Whittaker was phenomenal in his role, glad he won Best Actor.

Pans Labrinth
Also saw this one a few weeks ago, this was an awesome awesome movie and I highly recommend it. It's hard not to be drawn into the world of the main character and the story was so good. The blend of fantasy and real world elements I thought was so well done and unique.

Children of Men
This was perhaps my most favourite movie of last year and I'm kind of disappointed that it was not nominated for more major awards. The world in which Children of Men takes place is so entirely believable and there were some long uncut sequences that were just incredible (reminded me of Gears of War actually) Just an excellent story that had a lot of interesting turns.

2 Comments:

  • I wish I had time to watch all those movies (to be read back in a bitter and sarcastic tone)

    By Blogger Lil Lex, at 11:11 p.m.  

  • If you liked The Departed, you will like "Infernal Affairs" which is the HK-hit movie that Monahan/Scorsese adapted. Stay away from I.A. 2 and 3, they really know how to ruin a good thing.

    You can pick up I.A. for $4 or less from any chinese DVD outlet.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home