Chris the Perpetual Student

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Where Singles Click?

Sorry all, for some reason I've been suffering from severe writer's block the past couple of days. I think my ankle injury somehow permeated to the writing centre in my brain. So I thought I'd write some things from the ol' back log of things to write. While I dont mention it often, I find many things that I read about in other people's blogs to be very intriguing and thought provoking and I've been meaning to offer my two cents to the various things people write that I find interesting for a while now, so I'd heres the first in a series of my responses.

Today I'm writing about a post written by my friend Luis who comments about how online dating is not a good way to find a relationship which got me thinking a lot. My take on online dating which probably appiles to other dating services as well is this. I dont think theres anything wrong with the methodology of online dating services. I think its a perfectly valid way to meet people which may or may not work for some people. I liken it to those weight loss program things you see on TV. The programs are probably perfectly valid ways to lose weight, but like the fine print at the bottom says, individual results may vary. It's true that having a set list of criteria could possibly exclude people who might otherwise might be perfect for you. But really the only way you'll run into these type of people is by chance, and if you're using a dating service then you're obviously not leaving things to chance! It's sort of like food. When you go grocery shopping, you don't go to the super market not knowing what you came there to buy. I mean you could go and pick items at random and hope that you may like it, but how productive is that? Its only out in restaurants or your friend's place that you get introduced to new things that you never thought you'd like. The difference of course is that unlike people, you get what you want no matter what you ask for! Before I go on I will admit that I have tried Lavalife once. I figure, what do you have to lose? I work with computers, grew up with computers, I figured that I shouldn't be afraid to try dating with computers. There is of course the stigma of using a dating a service i.e. that you're desperate but I think of it as another tool in my dating toolbox. But I echo Luis' sentiment that it would seem that we are increasingly using the internet as the primary way to meet people rather than a complimentary tool due to our increasingly busy life styles. Will computers eventually take the place of meeting people face to face? Are we becoming increasing anti-social? God I hope not. I hate to think of a society where everyone stays home on their computers and when they finally meet someone they dont know what to do because they dont have a keyboard in front of them to type out a smiley. That being said, it's time for me to get off the computer and go out, hopefully to meet some hot girls!

1 Comments:

  • Interesting post Chris, I say go for it, you have nothing to lose and you can sit there, pick and choose and what not. I guess the scary thing is that the person on the other end can be who ever she wants to be and that is scary in itself. But, you can meet someone online and get to know them indepth and there true inner self not have to rely on looks and all that other stuff that might stand in the way. But then again you do want to hit it off and chemistry is a must. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it once and see where it goes, and if you don't like it log off your pc! hehe

    :)

    By Blogger Rubex Cube, at 1:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home