The Art of Conversation
Ok so I've been at my plan of trying to talk to more people for a few weeks now. Now I've always known that I'm not a great conversationalist. Whenever I talk to someone, there are usually gaps or breaks in the conversation and thats usually because I dont know what to say next. You see, my thought process when I talk to someone works like this. If I know you, than I usually have a list of one or two topics associated with you, for instance video games or clothes or movies. Then I search my brain for any new stories that I know in those topics and use those as pieces of conversation. Problem is, when I dont have any stories or run out of them, thats when I run out of things to say. Worse still is if I dont know you. Then I use my list of generic topics which usually runs out a lot faster. Now I've come to realize that having stories to tell is the driving force behind a conversation, and that my lack of stories is the reason for my weak conversation skills. But I often wonder why that is? I mean, I think I experience the average amount of interesting things for a person, why is it that when it comes to story telling I usually draw a blank? I'm always amazed when I'm around talkative people and watching how they operate. Its like they have a seemingly endless amount of stories that they can pull out of nothing. I mean there I am, still searching for the next thing to say and they've already brought up a new story to tell. I've accepted that good conversation skills is something you're born with or not, because try as I might that story resevoir in my brain never fills up fast enough or full enough. In my recent attempts at conversations, I've been put in a few situations where the onus was solely on my to provide the bulk of the conversation and while I think I battled admirably it really pushed the limits of my abilities and its something I know I can't do on a consistent basis. So I'm convinced that the right girl for me has to have a talkative personality, not necessarily a chatter box but someone who can drive a conversation because I do much btter responding to stories rather than trying to come up with them. It works because a friend of mine was the best at that and she could get me to talk for hours. Now that I think about it, I guess that explains my parents, since my dad is a quiet guy like myself and my mom is quite the opposite. So I guess the old saying is true, opposites do attract.

3 Comments:
#1 - to tell stories, you need to be able to streatch the truth. Look at shaun. its all sensationalism based on truth. yknow when you see a movie and it says "based on a true story?" its like that!
#2 - you seriously want a chick who doesn't shut up? yo, i wouldnt be able to take it. i don't condone hitting women, but i'd have to punch her in the mouff if she didn't stop yapping!
By
chinwhat, at 9:39 p.m.
Did you know that some of the best conversations is when you don't say anything at all, I think that was a Hallmark moment or something. Well anyways seriously sometimes when I don't talk to someone and am just hanging with them, it is often just a memorable moment etc. You shouldn't have to make a list or what not about what to talk about, it should just come out. But then again it can be hard at times for example when you don't know the person and their intersts. SO that is when you talk about generic things as in stuff on the news or politics, trust me that stuff will get someone going for sure. Or you can do the lame approach as ask them what they do, where they went to school, where they live, where they have travelled to yada yada. Damn I just noticed that I talk alot or maybe not enough at times with certain people. Thing is that you have to click and once you do there should be no problem! Oh yeah and you don't want to be with someone that is a chatter box cause sometimes it is soo hard to get in a word edge wise!
Good luck Chris, I'm sure you will find the chick that will bring out the best in you! :)
By
Rubex Cube, at 7:45 a.m.
Not to be an ass or anything and I do respect you as family but I find some people who cannot catch and throw back the ball in a coversation as either 1) a freggin snob or 2) socially inept. In no part is that the fault of the side of the intravertatedly challenged...then again, in my shoes, I've always been the Devil's advocate...if I'm surrounded by loud ppl, I don't scream louder, I just be the quiet one and vice versa.
-mL
http://blog.lapasa.net
By
Anonymous, at 11:02 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home