Karate Time Machine
My membership in the Youth Movement took a small hit yesterday. We started a new session in karate, so there were a few new faces in the crowd as is usually the case. One of the new students was a black belt whose gi bore the crest of my former club, and not only that but he also looked vaguely familiar to me. I found that he had been taking karate for around twelve years, which would have meant that he would have been in the same class as me as some point. I asked him about it and found out that we did share the same former sensei and when I mentioned to him the people who were my peers at the time, it hit him as to who I was as he remembered the high school that I went to as well as my cheesy comb over hair style I had back in the day (you all know the one, haha)! Funny the things people remember about you. (side note, what do you think people will remember you for most from back in the day?) Well I still couldn't place his face anywhere. But it finally hit me on the way home how I remembered him. He was one of the little kids in my class when I was in high school. And now he's all grown up (literally) and starting university. Man, just goes to show you how a near lifetime can occur in a span of almost ten years and how things that seemed to have evolved overnight have in reality taken years to develop, its just that you weren't around or didn't notice it happening. I also couldn't help but think how much it must have been a shock for him as well, looking from the other side. If I seemed old to him when he was a kid, how much more so (or possibly even less) do I seem to him now? Messed up eh? Anyways, I'm hoping the next new student I meet is someone who was older than me from my old club, I need to get back into good standing with the Youth Movement!

2 Comments:
Ahh that is cute and funny of how he remembered you! I totally can relate to how ackward sort of that might have been...like I keep saying to random freinds "remember when we were young and we would see or talk to people in their late 20's and think damn they have their shit together in that they have a cool job, place, are married etc, but when we now get to that stage in life it's like damn this is what I was waiting for" Really we keep getting older in age but our mental frame of mind etc does not change (drastically that is) over the years" ok I will now stop my verbal banter!
By
Rubex Cube, at 5:52 p.m.
COOKSVILLE MASSIVE!
By
chinwhat, at 8:52 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home