Without A Paddle, But With A Lesson
So last night I met up with a friend that I don't get to hang out often with. I cleared out my schedule so that we'd be able to meet because we don't get too many opportunities to meet, and in doing so it reminded me of one of the reasons I started up this blog and why I felt I needed to make a few changes, a story which I said I'd tell but forgotten about. So this is around the time my friends Keith and Bryan from high school were visiting from overseas, two friends who I haven't seen in at least three years. I went out with a friend to go watch a movie and he wanted to see Without a Paddle, a movie which I had no intention of watching because frankly it looked stupid to me. But I obliged and ended up watching it. It turned out to be quite funny, but what really surprised me was that there were a few moments in the movie of deep sincerety and seriousness. One moment in particular stood out to me. The three main characters were in a cabin in the woods talking to some crazy old hermit. I forget exactly what the conversation was about, but the words the hermit spat out I'll never forget, and it went something like this (can't remember exactly word for word unfortunately, I'll try to rent the DVD later):
If you work out, and stop working out, you can always make that up later. But time lost is something you can never make up.
I swear those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and never have I found something to be more true. What hit me the most was where did those years go that I didn't see my friends? I hardly stayed in contact and now I can't make that time up. So what the movie taught me was to value the time that I have, because that time can't me made up. So I decided from that time on to make the best of my time, through staying in touch with old friends as well as current ones, and being more productive with my time. I admit I haven't done as good a job as I would have liked so far, but I'm definitely improving as time goes. Funny how one's life can change so much through the most unexpected of ways.
If you work out, and stop working out, you can always make that up later. But time lost is something you can never make up.
I swear those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and never have I found something to be more true. What hit me the most was where did those years go that I didn't see my friends? I hardly stayed in contact and now I can't make that time up. So what the movie taught me was to value the time that I have, because that time can't me made up. So I decided from that time on to make the best of my time, through staying in touch with old friends as well as current ones, and being more productive with my time. I admit I haven't done as good a job as I would have liked so far, but I'm definitely improving as time goes. Funny how one's life can change so much through the most unexpected of ways.

1 Comments:
but the question always remains:
"What're you going to do about it?"
By
chinwhat, at 11:26 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home