The dream will not die
So I went to a panel discussion last night on establishing a viable game company run by the local game developer association chapter. Most of the big name guys were there, the head of Pseudo Interactive, the head of Digital Extremes, the head of BrainBox, and a couple of other guys. All the idols of video game nerd-dom (including myself). Anyways anytime I go to one of these events I always think of my dream which is to work in game development and how I'm not there yet and whether or not I'll ever get there and whether or not I'm doing enough to reach my goal etc etc. But whenever I start to doubt myself I think of this quote I heard once, unfortunately I can't remember all of it and I tried doing a search for it but didn't come up with anything (does anyone else find that it's getting harder and harder to find anything on the web these days?). It goes something like there are three great tragedies in life, and one of those tragedies is "Realizing your dream too early" (the other one I think is outliving your children, the other I can't remember, if anyone knows this saying, let me know). So yeah, maybe it's a good thing that I haven't realized my dream yet, since the struggle and the sacrifices will make the end result more rewarding and also gives me something to strive for.
While I was searching for that quote, I stumbled upon this quote which probably sums it up even better.
Quote of the day:
"There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it." -George Bernard Shaw
side note: one of my biggest problems that prevents me from dedicating more time to working on game development stuff is that I give myself too many damn projects/activities! My current free time is divided like this: karate, volleyball, studying Italian, doing my AS400 course, blogging, going through my video game queue, running, DJing practice, and on top of that writing a video game (actually make that 2 games). And then volunteer work somewhere on the horizon. oy!
While I was searching for that quote, I stumbled upon this quote which probably sums it up even better.
Quote of the day:
"There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it." -George Bernard Shaw
side note: one of my biggest problems that prevents me from dedicating more time to working on game development stuff is that I give myself too many damn projects/activities! My current free time is divided like this: karate, volleyball, studying Italian, doing my AS400 course, blogging, going through my video game queue, running, DJing practice, and on top of that writing a video game (actually make that 2 games). And then volunteer work somewhere on the horizon. oy!

1 Comments:
I hear you man. When I was growing up learning the "awesome" language of Turing, I was convinced that some day I would be developing video games for third parties under Nintendo or something. Many afterschool afternoons were spent at school working on a 3x3 slots game with symbols ripped off from Mario Kart for SNES. I got a 85% on that project in Gr12 Computer Programing class.
As I write this, I realize the irony now is I did in a very odd way did fulfil that dream...I work for a video game company, one that makes games like slots for real money.
It's not exactly Capcom but what the hey.
-mL
http://blog.lapasa.net
By
Anonymous, at 10:30 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home