Wax on, Wax off
So I had my karate exam yesterday which I passed, so I'm now a brand spanking new brown belter, which is the level I left off at the last time I was a karate student in high school. I probably have another year and half to go before black belt. I sort of feel like that movie where that guy almost makes it to the major leagues but something happens and doesn't, but his dream doesn't die and eventually makes it but is the league's oldest rookie at 30. Ok so I dont know if this movie actually exists, but it sounds like a movie that was probably made. Anyways, I never once considered myself to have quit taking karate, even though I stopped for five some odd years, I had every intention of continuing in order to eventually get my black belt. It does seem like kind of a waste that I chose to start over again to make it back to a level that I already attained, but I like to look at it this way using a twist of one of my favourite quotes: "the destination is more important than the journey" (the quote is actually the other way around). In other words it doesn't matter what you go through in order to reach your goal, it just matters that you eventually reach your goal. So yeah, even though I haven't taken the shortest possible route to reaching my goal, I know that I will eventually reach that goal and thats the important part to me.
But...
Having said that, lately I've been feeling that I'm not using the best of my time. I'm starting to believe that life is more than spending 8 hours at work every day, coming home, eating, and watching tv after. Is this what I have to look forward to in the future? Is this really living? What have I done in the past two years since I started workign? I feel like I need to add some purpose to my life, have some sense of accomplishment. I think we all have something in life we want or wanted to do, but as we settle into "every day" life I think we start to lose our ambition and accept life as it is, I know I am beginning to. My dream of course was to get into video game development, but I realize lately that I have done very little in the last little while to achieve that goal, almost abandoning it completely. What I'm trying to get at is that maybe indeed it should be "the journey is more important than the destination." In other words, make something of the time that you have and do something with it. Reach for something, and don't just sit on your butt and do nothing to get it. I think thats what makes life interesting. I say this all as I am trying to decide what I want the things in life I want to achieve are.
So what do you think, is the journey more important than the destination, or the other way around? Today, I'll let you decide what the quote of the day should be
Quote of the day:
?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home