Chris the Perpetual Student

Monday, November 29, 2004

Roma Post Script part Uno: Italia Uno!

First off, thanks to everyone who wrote to me while I was on vacation, always nice to hear from people you know while travelling, and secondly a belated Happy Birthday to those people whose birthdays I missed.

So since I've been back I've spent a lot of time looking up Italian music and artists, since I most of the time spent in the appartment was watching MTV Italy (otherwise I'd be forced to watch either some Italian variety show or talk show (although 90% of the time the hostess would be scantily clad)). A few artists caught my ear while I was there:



My favourite song while I was there was Together by Elisa, who was one of the nominees for Best Italian Act at the MTV Europe Awards. Its a great song with a really cool video, and its English so check it out. The room mates however were split on this one

Then theres Tiziano Ferro, who won the award for Best Italian Act at the EMAs who my sister absolutely loves to death. I admit he was a phenomenal voice and his song Non Me Lo So Spiegare is incredible A must listen. Also check out Sere Nere, which is what he performed at the EMAs



And then theres Anastacia, who's not Italian at all but American, but who seems to be big in Europe but not here for some reason. Her single that was playing was Left Outside Alone, which is a pretty cool song.

Speaking of MTV Italy, I managed to find pics on their website (click on 15/11/04) of the episode of TRL that I was on, which helped me to figure out that the artist who was on the show was Max Pezzali, another Italian artist who looks kinda old although was dressed all thuggish. The song he performed live I figured out was Lo Strano Percoso, which has a typical Italian folk-songish quality to it, but its pretty good.



I also managed to figure out the name of the ultra cute hostess of TRL, Carolina. Check out pics of her here! (shes much cuter in person though). And just for completeness sake, heres pics of Giorgia, whos the super popular host of an MTV show now turned actress. She was the girl who introduced the acts in front of the Colosseum at the EMAs. My sister thinks shes weird cause she always wears just one earring.

Since I've been craving Italian music since I've been back, I managed to track down a good list of Italian radio stations that you can listen to over the net.

As a final note, I was surprised that I didn't hear a lot of dance/freestyle while I was there, since it seems all of the EuroBeats we get here are all from Italy. Maybe because I was only exposed to MTV. But still, not even one song!

Ok next post I should have videos from my trip posted! Stay tuned

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home