Chris the Perpetual Student

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Roma Post Script Part Tre: The Final Chapter

So this will be my final entry on my series on Rome. I thought I'd leave off with some final thoughts and remarks on my trip.

One of the unique things for me about my trip was this was the first time I really did any major travelling by myself (for the most part). I'm used to doing a lot of things by myself and I know there are certain times things aren't nearly as fun if you dont have anyone to share it with. But Rome didn't fall under this category mostly for the reason that there is so much to see and do in Rome that you are constantly doing something and the day just flies by so quickly. The only downside to travelling alone is when you get really stuck (i.e. none of the phones work and you can't get a taxi) its nice to have someone to suffer with!

While I did do most of my travelling alone, I can't really say I travelled alone because I always had people to come home to every night, and to me that was the major reason I enjoyed my trip so much. If I came home to an empty hotel room every night for my trip, I think that my trip wouldn't have been nearly as fun. And I have to say I was really lucky because all my sister's room mates were some of the most friendliest people I have met and it was just that rare combination of living with so many friends while at the same time being on vacation really made my trip special and is something I doubt will ever be duplicated (that and having 6 six girls as room mates) Also this was the first time I travelled with my sister and it was a great experience, I'm glad I had the opportunity to travel with her since the chances of it happening again decrease as we get older. If you have a sibling try to travel with them at least once in your life time, its a very rewarding experience.

So what did I think of Rome? I can say with high certainty that it is the best place I've ever travelled to. What made it so great for me was that Rome was such a great city for exploring, everything is within walking distance and no matter where you go there is something of importance to see, all you need is a map and you're set. What I found odd was how safe I felt in Rome, I had no problem walking around late at night whereas I can get creeped out doing the same in Toronto. The people in general were helpful and friendly and even though there was a language barrier it wasn't a major problem. There are always a lot of tourists around (if there were that many in November, I can't imagine what the summer would be like) so you never feel like a fish out of water. I wouldn't mind living in Rome for a few months, although I wouldn't move there permanently, I'd miss all the variety that home provides (i.e. food) and all the niceities of home (there is definitely no place in the world like Canada, there are a lot of things you don't appeciate about home until you travel). But it is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to and I'm glad I had the chance to go. I will definitely return to Italy one day (hopefully as a fluent Italian speaker!)

Ok, and now finally my Rome Pictures!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home