The longest day
Greetings from Rome! I've been here a day and a half already and let me tell you its been crazy so far. I'll try to explain...
-I'll fast forward to the plane trip (I've been up since 8 already). I figured I'd go to sleep on the plane at 11pm. This turned out to be a bad idea since my plane landed in germany at 12pm at which time it was already 6am local time. Ate a McChicken at the airport. Tastes the same, looks different
-Arrived in Rome at 12pm. I went to buy a train ticket for Trastevere station, but I guess I butchered the pronunciation because the ticket lady corrected me and gave me a disgusted look
-Arrived at Trastevere station. Tried to find a payphone to call a cab. First one kept rejecting my coins. Second one was out of service. Third one worked, but would keep cutting out halfway in my call. Once I got a hold of cab company, the first one referred me to a second. The second the lady didn't speak good english and couldn't understand what I was saying. And the phone kept cutting out. So I figured I'd catch a cab on the street. I approached a cab driver who also didn't speak english (fortunately my italian lessons came in handy). I asked him to take my to via della paglia. He asks another driver, then the keep talking back and forth like neither wants to take me. Finally the second driver takes me. He drops me off in what seems like the middle of nowhere and I have no idea where I am. I asked a copy in italian where the street is but he gave me some one word answer I did understand. So I wander around aimlessly for half an hour. Finally I find the street (the street names are on the buildings!) and I drag my tired self and my luggage to my sisters appartment. Her appartment is really nice, and her 5 room mates are all very friendly and attractive girls. I just might not come home!
-After lunch, My sister gives me a mini tour of the city. The nice thing about Rome is all the sightseeing places are all walking distance from each other, and no matter where you are there is always some cool ancient building to see. We went to a bunch of places, the Colloseum, Circus Maximus, Capitoline Hill, and a bunch of other places I dont remember the names.
-After dinner, we watch tv for a bit and around 11 we head out to a club (MTV europe is hosting their awards in rome next weekend and all week they have events, and at the club that night was one of the events) We pick up some more friends in another appartment first, get some liquor (you can drink the streets) and then go to the club. We got to the club, but we also find out it is also gay night! Italian clubs are crazy. You have to be there to understand. There was an all guys room and an all girls room. At one point I had to go find a friend in the all guys room... And cause it was super hot( and I mean hot) in the club I was walking around in my wife beater... When we got out of the club it was raining hard, and all I had was my vest so I got all wet.
So did you figure out the one thing that was missing from my story. Yeah, its sleep! I was up for over 40 hours straight! Hence, the title of the my post
Anyways, that was yesterday. Today I did some exploring for 5 hours, walked through the Roman Forum, then went to Sta Maria Maggore church, and the Piazza Republica. Tomorrow I'll go to Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna, St Peters, maybe the Vatican. So thats its for now. So far its been a blast. Till my next update. Ciao
-I'll fast forward to the plane trip (I've been up since 8 already). I figured I'd go to sleep on the plane at 11pm. This turned out to be a bad idea since my plane landed in germany at 12pm at which time it was already 6am local time. Ate a McChicken at the airport. Tastes the same, looks different
-Arrived in Rome at 12pm. I went to buy a train ticket for Trastevere station, but I guess I butchered the pronunciation because the ticket lady corrected me and gave me a disgusted look
-Arrived at Trastevere station. Tried to find a payphone to call a cab. First one kept rejecting my coins. Second one was out of service. Third one worked, but would keep cutting out halfway in my call. Once I got a hold of cab company, the first one referred me to a second. The second the lady didn't speak good english and couldn't understand what I was saying. And the phone kept cutting out. So I figured I'd catch a cab on the street. I approached a cab driver who also didn't speak english (fortunately my italian lessons came in handy). I asked him to take my to via della paglia. He asks another driver, then the keep talking back and forth like neither wants to take me. Finally the second driver takes me. He drops me off in what seems like the middle of nowhere and I have no idea where I am. I asked a copy in italian where the street is but he gave me some one word answer I did understand. So I wander around aimlessly for half an hour. Finally I find the street (the street names are on the buildings!) and I drag my tired self and my luggage to my sisters appartment. Her appartment is really nice, and her 5 room mates are all very friendly and attractive girls. I just might not come home!
-After lunch, My sister gives me a mini tour of the city. The nice thing about Rome is all the sightseeing places are all walking distance from each other, and no matter where you are there is always some cool ancient building to see. We went to a bunch of places, the Colloseum, Circus Maximus, Capitoline Hill, and a bunch of other places I dont remember the names.
-After dinner, we watch tv for a bit and around 11 we head out to a club (MTV europe is hosting their awards in rome next weekend and all week they have events, and at the club that night was one of the events) We pick up some more friends in another appartment first, get some liquor (you can drink the streets) and then go to the club. We got to the club, but we also find out it is also gay night! Italian clubs are crazy. You have to be there to understand. There was an all guys room and an all girls room. At one point I had to go find a friend in the all guys room... And cause it was super hot( and I mean hot) in the club I was walking around in my wife beater... When we got out of the club it was raining hard, and all I had was my vest so I got all wet.
So did you figure out the one thing that was missing from my story. Yeah, its sleep! I was up for over 40 hours straight! Hence, the title of the my post
Anyways, that was yesterday. Today I did some exploring for 5 hours, walked through the Roman Forum, then went to Sta Maria Maggore church, and the Piazza Republica. Tomorrow I'll go to Piazza Navona, Piazza di Spagna, St Peters, maybe the Vatican. So thats its for now. So far its been a blast. Till my next update. Ciao

2 Comments:
Hey Chris, glad to see that you made it ok! LOL at your dilema with the phones and wondering around the city. Can't wait to see your pictures, do you have any from that Gay clubbing night, I'm sure some "ahem TEAM ID" friends of yours would enjoy seeing all that body touching, sweat etc! :)
By
Rubex Cube, at 10:10 a.m.
Re: 5 attractive roomates - you have single friends back home focker! Don't CB! Don't be Shaun!
By
chinwhat, at 12:18 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home